BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, August 19, 2011

new cookies for a special baby and a pretty in pink (and turquiose cake)

I got a call a couple weeks ago that an old friend of mine was expecting a baby boy.  She was a friend of mine through high school and college and in her adult life she is living in a different state.  I was so happy for her!  Then a few days after that her husband contacted me and invited me to a surprise baby shower for her.  I was so excited and had to go.  Since the party had already been planned I couldnt bring a cake so I decided to make some cute baby cookies to contribute.  It was a last minute decision, but here is what i came up with. . .


I decided to try a new cookie recipe and it was delicious!!!
http://sweetsugarbelle.com/2011/06/basic-sugar-cookie-recipe-2/

And since I was trying new things I decided to try a new icing recipe too.  I liked this one.  I thought it was tastier than royal icing and dried shinier.  One of my biggest complaints with royal is its dull finish.
http://www.thedecoratedcookieblog.com/2008/11/cookie-dough-and-frosting-recipes.html

Everyone at the party loved them!  And I was happy to see an old friend and feel like I was able to help make her shower more special. 




I also got to make a super cute and simple cake.  Since this was a week for new recipes I decided to make some modeling chocolate for this cake.  Modeling chocolate is a great alternative to gumpaste and fondant, especially for those who don't like fondant (although my fondant is super yummy!).  I loved working with it and the way it set up.  I think I am going to be using modeling chocolate much more.  And since I am talking about recipes. . . this cake was chocolate cake with cookie dough filling and it was delicious!

This cake was inspired by http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2010181



0 comments: