BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, August 8, 2011

Gaming birthdays- Angry Birds and Mario Kart

This weeks trend is gaming birthday parties.  I did an Angry Birds cake and Mario Kart cake back to back.  I was impressed with myself and how realistic and close the characters looked to the real thing.  I always worry when replicating something it isn't going to look right.  But I was happy with how they turned out. 


So I have played Angry Birds for all of 2 minutes and don't really get the fun of it yet.  Maybe if I played it more I would.  But it is crazy to me how adults and children can be hooked on the same game.  A very close friends son was turning 4 and he wanted Angry Birds.  So Angry Birds he got.  I wish I made the birds out of cake balls so they would have been even yummier.  But it was an outdoor pool party that required us to drive a distance to get there.  So I decided to be safe and make them out of fondant.  That's ok they were still pretty tasty.  My boys love my marshmallow fondant and were the proud eaters of at least 2 birds each.  They usually eat the fondant first then the icing and then if they are still hungry they will eat cake.  These boys definitely like sugar (they must be my children). 


This was the weekend for birthday parties.  Actually we have been to a lot this summer.  There must be a lot of summer babies out there!  This cake was Super Mario Kart.  I usually have a plan when making my cakes.  But for some reason this one I just decided to wing it.  I knew I wanted to make Mario on his kart and some of the stars and mushrooms but that was it.  I was about to dye some fondant blue and make a scene like the games when I changed my mind and decided to go with white and black checks and some red.  I am glad I did because when I talked to my friend she said she had just purchased red and black and white checked table clothes.  So luckily it matched perfectly. 

0 comments: